Meet Rob, Co-founder & COO

What do you do at hiyacar?

Safety, security and quality are my main areas of focus, including insurance, verification and quality of service. My work overlaps with all the teams but especially with community support and tech.

What are your credentials/past experience, for working in your position?

I have set up marketplaces before but nothing quite like hiyacar. When Graeme and I started the company we had to work across all areas of the business and learn on the job. We have been very good at listening and learning from our members who have always pointed us in the right direction, making sure we build them the right things.

What do you like about working at hiyacar?

We didn’t start hiyacar because we love car hire. I am not really a car fan at all. But I do love being able to change local mobility. Adding real value into peoples lives by giving drivers cars when and where they want them and by putting cars to better use. We have tried to build a company that people want to work for, giving flexible working and encouraging the team to be responsible for their own areas.

What’s your background?

I live in a little village in Kent which is a real contrast to the hustle of London. At home, I have a wife, 3 children and now a female puppy, so I am very much outnumbered. The great thing about hiyacar is that I get to make decisions and that rarely happens at home :smile:

Who or what inspires you?

I get inspired by young companies solving problems that massive traditional corporations have either failed to do so or ignored. Any company that is out there talking to their members and really find out what matters to them are a joy watch.

Your top 3 favourite books, podcasts and/or movies?

Work Doesn’t Have To Be Crazy is a fantastic easy read on how companies should operate today.

A Guide To The Good Life was my first look into Stoic philosophy and has had a really positive impact on my understanding of what is really important in life and how to handle difficult situations.

Competing Against Luck looks at the Jobs To Be Done method, explaining how you can build the right things.

Where’s your favourite place in the world?

Home. Cheesy but true. I would rather be at home with my family than any other place in the world.

What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?

With our recent new puppy addition, going on our daily dog walks with the 3 girls are so much fun. We are very lucky to have lots of lovely fields and views. The fresh air and the open fields to run around and be silly is always a welcome break.

What’s one thing that not many people know about you?

When researching app design in the early days of hiyacar I signed up to Tinder to see how the matchmaking experience worked (as we were matchmaking drivers with cars). After an hour of research, I deleted the app but forgot to delete my account and a week later had a call from my sister (a Tinder user at the time) who was surprised that her married brother with 3 children (well 2 at the time) was on a dating app with a profile picture of himself and his wife :joy:

What is the main thing missing from hiyacar that, if we had, you would score us 11 out of 10?

1 Like