Meet Marc, our CTO

What do you do at hiyacar?

I manage the in-house tech team here at hiyacar and I work closely with other teams to ensure we’re delivering the right product for our members

What are your credentials/past experience, for working in your position?

I have a degree in Computer System Engineering and I’ve worked in tech for twenty years, primarily with startups including as CTO of the UK’s (possibly the world’s) first peer-to-peer car rental company, WhipCar.

What do you like about working at hiyacar?

Working at hiyacar is exciting. It’s fast-paced and things are always changing! We’re helping to develop a completely new market which our members are highly engaged with. I’ve been with hiyacar since the very early days when the whole company could be fed with one pizza, and I now manage a reasonably sized multi-disciplinary development team. The team are all highly motivated and passionate about our purpose.

What’s your background?

I’ve been obsessed with technology since I was around 8 and a career in tech was, in hindsight, inevitable. My first computer experience was on a BBC Micro Model B and the first computer I owned was an Amiga 500. I first learnt to program in Amos and have worked with many languages since.

Who or what inspires you?

What drives me is creating something that people actually want and keep returning to. Also, fostering new talent and seeing them grow into their chosen career is something I find very rewarding.

Your top 3 favourite books, podcasts and/or movies?

My top three podcasts are:

Where’s your favourite place in the world?

Somewhere in Italy, probably Lucca, but I still have plenty of this beautiful country to explore.

What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?

I have two young children who take up most of my non-working time. Outside of that, I try to relax whenever I can by doing the usual boring things like listening to music (or podcasts) or watching TV.

What’s one thing that not many people know about you?

I appeared as an extra on Dead Set as a Zombie

Got a question on tech, hiyacar related, or not? I’ll try to answer, reply below