Meet Elis, UX Designer

What do you do at hiyacar?

I’m hiyacar’s very own Junior UX Designer! I spend most of my time drawing pretty mobile user interfaces. I also lead informal usability sessions as part of hiyacar’s growing focus on user-centred design.

I help to deliver hiyacar’s mission by ensuring that each and every design decision is validated by the thoughts, feelings and actions of our members.

What are your credentials/past experience, for working in your position?

I’ve got a BSc in Computing Science and an MSc in Human-Computer Interaction Design. Coming from a technical background means I find it easier (albeit, only slightly) to understand the limitations and constraints of development.

What do you like about working at hiyacar?

Working at hiyacar is great. I mostly value the autonomy to make significant decisions about the look and feel of the entire hiyacar service. Everyone is really friendly, and everyone works hard.

What’s your background?

I grew up in Cardiff, although you’d never be able to tell. I have loved being creative for as long as I can remember. I spent my childhood drawing and writing, and as a teenager I would spend many hours creating short films and learning digital design. I love to play the guitar and have, unashamedly, still not outgrown playing with LEGO.

Who or what inspires you?

Designing for good, and not designing products or services which cause people to act against their own best interests (I’m looking at you, social media…).

Your top 3 favourite books, podcasts and/or movies?

“Don’t Make Me Think” by Steve Krug and “About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design” are essential reading for creating usable products or services. “1984” by George Orwell is, I’d argue, also pretty essential for dealing with the 21st century.

Where’s your favourite place in the world?

London. Although I’m pretty sure I’d answer with Tokyo, had I actually been there.

What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?

I DJ, I play the guitar, I watch films (arthouse, obviously), and play PS4. DJ’ing means I’m pretty big on music. I mostly go to soirées de musique électronique, but also have a love for all things Kate Bush, The Beatles, The Smiths and Jimi.

What’s one thing that not many people know about you?

If I told you, then it would cease to be interesting…